It was the first thing I did after coming back from Utah... besides catching up on sleep and a few lazy days filled with pajamas and pure laziness.
I picked up all our supplies, I bought some things at Home Depot and some things at Walmart... solely based on prices. Getting all the materials from the back of my car to the back yard was the worst part... until I put the toy car and kids to work! This was the BEST idea EVER.
I started half with plant and half with seed. All my herbs, tomatoes, and strawberries were started with plants. The rest I did with seed.
Here are my supplies. Two gardening boxes... I got these from Home Depot for $35 each. A great price if you don't want to build your own. Lots of planting soil, pete moss, fine wood chips, black tarp to protect against weeds/grass growing through, and tomato cages.
I built the boxes and the kids helped me dump the dirt in and mix it all around! They loved this part! I really want them to be a part of the garden, to help take care of it, and then see what comes from the work that went into it.
The helped with all the plants. Clara in particular, LOVED planting everything. Jackson wasn't too into it - but still helped out.
AND.... Our final product! All the veggies are in the boxes... lettuce, spinach, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, radishes, tomatoes, sugar snap peas and string beans. I put 4 tomato plants along the back - pretty sure that is too many. I might have to take one out, move it or do something... but I was just so excited to have fresh tomatoes (one of my fav's!).
All the herbs and the strawberries are in the the pots.
I can't wait for the seeds to start growing in! Sometimes I feel like if I sing to them while I water they might grow faster! Ha ha!
Does anyone else do gardening and have any good tips for me?


4 comments:
So fun!! I miss being able to garden and can't wait to do it again! The only tips I will give for now are don't over-water them and when they have grown in lots, make sure to trim the dead off. It helps the rest grow so much better. Also, with tomatoes, you usually want to trim the bottom most 2 stems. This will really help it to grow up and not out and will help the top to get more of the nutrients too. I am excited to hear how this goes!
Thanks Karissa! Those are great tips!
I love your garden! You are a pro...now come and help me get started. I need some help!
We have a huge garden. one thing my dad always says is that anything you put in a pot start with large rocks at the bottom. sometimes the water doesn't drain properly. LOVE tomatoes as well. My sister in law who got a gallon a day of strawberries last years says the secret is to put pine needles on top of them. then the next year the strawberries love the acidity in the dirt. and it keeps the berries off the dirt. good luck
Post a Comment