Tuesday, April 10, 2012

DONUTS to VEGETABLES!

Usually the new year starts with a lot of new plans to be "healthier"... "work-out more often" ... "cut out sugar & soda"... ya know - the typical for most of us.

I am usually in the same boat, especially after all that holiday eating... but this year was backwards for me. I don't think I got to the gym until sometime in February and even then, it was more of a 1x a week (if that) occurance. It felt like we had family in town every weekend, and if there wasn't someone staying with us it was because I was out of town visiting family or friends.

My last trip was Utah and this was a picture I sent to Scott of my dinner on the drive home.... no joke. A bag of donuts. This was not me at all... but months of "vacation eating" had drastically changed me. I could not wait to get home and de-junk my house, my body, and my habits!

Monday morning I went straight to COSTCO. Hello veggies!
It has now been over 1 week and I am feeling so much better! I have been taking the change in diet somewhat easy... I haven't cut out sugar or soda completely... I felt like I would do better if I took it slow.

*I load my days with veggies. The main dish in all of my meals? Veggies!
*I still indulge in sugar. I would love to cut it out - but I am not ready yet. So I have been allowing myself 1 (sometime 2) treats a day. An example is: 1 handful of peanut m&m's, 1 fun size candy bar, 2 cookies, a small bowl of ice cream... get the point.
*I love fruit. I wish I could eat a bowl of cut up fruit and call it good, but I try to scale back and focus on the vegetables and protein. And often times I leave it for after I eat my meal to help ease the sweet tooth that seems to come on after every meal. :)
*Dairy - I try to cut most dairy out because it seems to always make my tummy churn, but I love cottage cheese, frozen yogurt, and greek yogurt - so I make a few exceptions there as well.
*Carbs... I have been trying to keep these low as well. But when I do add these into a meal it's ALWAYS brown. Brown rice, wheat bread, wheat pita... and I try to make sure its high in fiber as well.

Anyways - it's working for me. I feel good. It's nothing too dramatic - but it's change and I am pretty sure it's progress from my Hostess Donuts... ha ha!

What do you do to stay healthy and focused on good nutrition? If you have any tricks... please share!

No comments: