Project #1: Homemade bread
Project #2: Freezer Jam. One batch with sugar and one batch sugar free.
I have never made my own bread before. I have bought the already prepared mixes and thrown it into my breadmaker and done that, but never on my own. I got a new recepie from a friend of mine and decided to give it a try. It was so easy and so worth it! It was delicious!
Here is the delicious Wheat Bread recipe:
3 c. water
1/2 c. honey
1 tbsp saf-instant yeast
*grease 1/2 c. measuring cup before putting honey in (this allows the honey to slip right out). mircrowave honey and water for 1 minute. sprinkle yeast on top and allow to sit while you prepare the following.
Mix in a Kitchen Aid:
7 c. flour
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp dough enhancer
1/4 tsp dough enhancer
add:
1/4 c. oil
water/honey/yeast mixture
Mix for 7 minutes on medium-low
Oil hands and counter tops and punch dough down.
Divide into 3 loafs (I did 2 and that worked fine)
Let rise 1 1/2 hours
Bake at 350 for 35 min.
*Special note: Watch your mixer carefully. My friend that gave me the recipe, wasn't paying attention and her mixer went off the counter and broke!
I have never made freezer jam either. But my Grandpa brought me a huge bag of peaches from his tree so I decided to put them to good use and give this freezer jam a try. I made a peach-strawberry batch with the whole 4 cups of sugar (yes, 4 cups) and then did another batch of plain strawberry sugar free. Most people say the sugar free is bitter tasting - but I actually liked it better than the one with sugar.
So above is a picture of my kitchen looking like a total disaster. And below is a picture of what it normally looks like. And honestly, my kitchen is "almost" this clean all the time. I can't stand a messy kitchen!
More kitchen projects this week (or next): Canning. I am going out to my Grandpas to pick more peaches and will can whatever I get from him. After that I am going to attempt the salsa. I am not too worried about the peaches but the salsa requires a little bit more work. I have had some help and directions from some friends so I think I will take on the challenge. Wish me luck!
6 comments:
Congrats on the bread! Isn't it wonderful making bread! It feels like running a marathon, although I haven't ever ran a marathon!!
We try and make homemade bread every Tuesday. We usually make 2 loaves, the first one is gone that afternoon and the 2nd one lasts the rest of the week.
I bottle grape juice, I can tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, peaches, pears, this year I am going to try green peppers. I have a book that is made by the jar company "BALL" what an awesome name!! Go get it from the library, or buy it. It gives you the times and how to can/dehydrate/freeze EVERYTHING!!
Check it out here:
http://www.amazon.com/BALL-Complete
-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314
/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=
1221076115&sr=8-1
McCall-
John was also picky about a pacifier. He only wanted one specific kind. They are sold at Hawaii Medical (online) and they are AWESOME!!! They are seriously the best pacifier I have ever tried and everyone I give them to says their babies prefer them over all others.
Check out the webpage. You can even get them scented (sounds weird, but trust me, they are amazing)
Congrats on your beautiful baby girl and new house and wheat bread!
hooray for being a stay @ home mom!
(isn't it just the best?)
julie :)
MCCALL - I KNEW SOMEONE WHO HAD A "CANNING KITCHEN" - SHE USED IT ONLY FOR CANNING. SHE WAS NOT ONE WHO REALLY USED IT, IT WAS MORE FOR LOOKS AND SHE DEFINETLY HAD THE EXTRA SPACE:). BUT, AFTER GOING THROUGH YOUR EXPERIENCE, MIGHT NOT BE SUCH A BAD A IDEA. IT IS A STICKY MESS AND YOUR HOUSE SMELLS GOOD AND BAD FOR A WEEK OR TWO - DEPENDING ON WHAT YOUR CANNING. BUT IT'S ALL WORTH IT. JUST DO NOT CAN ANYTHING WHEN YOU ARE IN THE FIRST TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY OR YOU WILL NEVER EAT IT. THE SMELLS WILL MAKE YOU SICK FOR YEARS. I HAD THAT EXPERIENCE WITH DILL PICKLES AND IT TOOK ME YEARS TO GET OVER:(.
- MOM
I love making my own bread and Jam! I have yet to make any jam this year though, i still need to. Let us know how the salsa and canning goes.
Ok, 3 things...
*Your kitchen is B-E-A-UTIFUL! I lovelovelove the simplicity of it, and I really love the dark wood floors.
*You are already starting on major kitchen projects like bread and jam making, and canning? You are a rockstar.
*And thirdly...how can you POSSIBLY look that amazing after JUST having a baby!?! The family pic of you 4 in front of the Temple is amazing. You seriously are gorgeous McCall! Have you been workin' your buns off or what?! Share your secret!! Next post for you: "Tips to lose the baby weight and look dead-sexy!" Hope all is well. :)
Post a Comment