Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Careful what you wish for...

Have you ever watched someone with their kids and said, "I will NEVER do that"... or seen the way they handle a situation and thought, "I would do things so differently"...? I know we all have. Honestly, I have probley done that a million times. Well, I am starting to eat my "thoughts"....

I'm just going to be blunt here:

1. I once heard my mom talk about how she tried and tried to get my lil bro Miles to take a pacifier but he wanted absolutley nothing to do with it. Inside I thought - you didn't push hard enough. You can make any baby take a paci you just keep putting in their mouth and eventually they will suck. WAY WRONG. I have now been doing that for 2 months, and I can tell you - if they don't want it - they. do. not. want. it. There is no forcing.

2. When my sister Candice had her baby, she mentioned that he didn't really like his carseat and he was always crying in the car. I thought to myself, how could a baby not like a carseat. Especially when the car is moving - every baby loves their carseat! WRONG AGAIN. Clara doesn't care for her carseat either. Whether we are out driving or on a walk or in the grocery store - she wants out!

Those are just 2 examples of what has already happened, but here are some of what I think may soon come my way...

1. Light sleeper? Please, if you make alot of noise from day one when they sleep they will be a heavy sleeper.... reality.... they are what they are.

2. Picky eater? I will fight this until my hair falls out, BUT I have always said if you introduce a food enough to a child they will eventually eat it and grow to "hopefully" enjoy it. Especially while they are young. Will I soon eat my words on this one? I fear I will, but cross my fingers that I won't.............

3. Organization and cleanliness. I'm just going to say it, I am a clean freak! My kids will be clean because I train them that way, right? Or... will I be doomed with kids like Scott that will shove everything in the closet just so that mom thinks it is clean? (Yes, he has done that since we have been married).

Be careful what you say and think - because most of the time, its gonna come right back at ya.

8 comments:

Michele said...

sounds like jack and clara are total opposites! i totally agree with you on all of this, i have definitely realized that some of my ideas about motherhood were WAY wrong. I used to think "nipple confusion" wasn't real and you could force a baby to nurse and bottle feed... WRONG! I also thought that your kids hit all their developmental milestones on time or early if you did tummy time and played with them like you should... WRONG. Boston is 8 months and still barely rolls and has no interest in crawling! Funny how our perspective changes.

Michele said...

oh ya, and the paint in my family room is Val Spar Signature Paint from Lowes, the color is called "Beach". I love it.

Chante said...

I agree that kids are what they are and you can try to do all that you can to train them, but they will just do what they want to do! Sounds like Clara has been a little bit of a challenge....her cuteness makes up for it though!

{owens} said...

McCall there is a Sunflower farmers market by fashion place mall. awesome produce!! no more 20 minute drive.

DA pages said...

So are you saying I am doomed? :) I used to say that all the time growing up!

Heidi said...

I say that kind of thing all the time but mostly when it comes to teenagers- like I will never let me kids text all through church and things like that. I hope I don't have to eat my words someday!

Amanda said...

So true!

Steph said...

Amen sista, Amen.