Thursday, January 13, 2011

Favorite Salads

I have been trying to get back in the habit of my "1 salad a day" rule. And I have 2 new favorites that I have to share!

The first is from my friends sister-in-law. She originally made it for me a few months ago, and since then, I have made it maybe a dozen times... not kidding!

Salad de Provence
From: Lou's Kitchen

I have tried a few things from her blog... and so far... all of it has been DELICIOUS! Try the salad first... and then go from there!

NEXT SALAD is from a south beach diet. I originally tried it because it reminded me of a salad that my neighbor in UT made for me. It is so simple, and sooooo good!

Chicken & Avocado Salad

Prep Time: 20 min.
Tangy Lime, aromatic cilantro, and creamy avocado give this refreshing salad a light mexican flavor; chicken turns it into a satisfying one-dish meal for lunch or dinner.

3 tbsp EVOO
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp salt
1 (1-pound) head romaine lettuce, chopped (8 cups)
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 medium cucumber, sliced
1 pound cooked chicken breasts, shredded
1 avocado, pitted, peeled, & sliced
   freshly ground black pepper

1. Whisk together oil, lime juice, cilantro, salt, and a pinch or two of pepper in a small mixing bowl.
2. Combine lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumber in a large mixing bowl. Toss with half of the dressing and season to taste with salt and pepper; divide among 4 plates.
3. Toss chicken with 1 tbsp of the remaining dressing and divide among salads. Top with avocado slices, drizzle with remaining dressing, and serve.

Makes 4 (3-cup) servings
Per serving: 380 calories, 21 g fat, 3.5 g saturated fat, 38 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 5 g dietary fiber, 240 mg sodium.

1 comment:

Keri Cannon said...

http://picky-palate.com/2011/01/13/lemon-dressing-drizzled-chickpea-and-sweet-pepper-arugula-salad/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PickyPalate+%28Picky+Palate%29

This one is yummy too!