I went to TARGET today. We had already been to the post office, COSTCO for gas, and the bank... I was a little worried about Clara, but I only needed a few things and I figured if I got the kids an ICEE that would tie them over and we could be in and out, no problem.
We walked in and Jackson found a book in the dollar section and asked if we could buy it. I said "Yes, but no toys, you have plenty at home". At first he was thrilled that I said yes. But about 5 min later he saw a toy that he really wanted and asked if he could get the toy instead. I said, "No, just the book, I said no toys today".
He instantly started to cry and beg for the toy. I stuck to my word, and continued to say no. It quickly turned into a screaming... "but I just want a different toy".
********I could have chosen to take the easy way out and let him pick the toy. OR I could choose to let all of TARGET listen to my child, purchase what we had in our cart and GET OUT ASAP. I chose the second.**********
We got to the register and I gave the lady all that we were purchasing. We still had the orginal book that Jack wanted but with the way he was acting, there was no way I was going to let him get the book, let alone the other toy that he was whinning about. So I handed the lady the book and said "we are not getting this". OH BOY. Jack went hystarical. Like I have NEVER in his 4.5 years of life ever seen him act this way. All of TARGET was staring. And all I could do was pretend like nothing was wrong. I swear we could not get checked out fast enough. And as we walked out very nice lady asked me if I needed help to my car (I must have looked ridiculous and very frazzled). I politely declined, probley mostly out of embarrassment.
I got Jack in the car.... still screaming at the top of his lungs. I got Clara in the car. I grabbed our bags and was about to get in when I noticed a lady in her car smiling at me. She got out and said, "Don't feel bad, you did everything right. Sometimes kids just act out. It's OK, he probley just needs a nap or some food". It was so nice of her to say that - but at the same time, it made me so emotional. I got in the car and could not dial Scotts number fast enough. Luckily he answered and I burst into tears. I was so upset. He calmed me down, and when I told him how I was going to handle the situation he agreed.
We walked in the door. I went straight to his room. I packed up every single toy of his and started to haul them out to my car. It was not easy. He was clawing at me. Grabbing toys out of my hands. Pulling at my shirt. IT WAS ALL VERY DRAMATIC. Some how I stayed very calm, I hardly said one word to him. But as soon as I was done, I looked at him and burst into tears. I could hardly say anything. He went and sat on his bed, and I walked out and shut the door. I don't think much needed to be said at the time. He knew what he had done was wrong, and he knew he was in BIG trouble.
About 10 minutes later we had a talk. I told him that when his dad gets home, they will have a talk and his dad will decided what to do with all of his toys. Mostly I told him that I loved him and that I knew that he was better than everything we had just been through. It was a touching moment. He gave me a huge hug and asked if we could cuddle and watch a movie.
I have NEVER been through anything like that. I would expect that out of Clara but never from Jack. I know that this move has been hard on him, and that could be one of the reasons he acted out the way he did.... really I am not sure. I just hope I handled it the right way, and I really hope that I never have to experience anything like that ever again.
How to be an Answer to Prayer
1 year ago
6 comments:
i bet that was so hard but good for you sticking to your guns!
It sounds like yesterday you had the day I'm having today! You did all the right things. It is so hard to see them act like that. So sorry McCall.
Yuck! I hate trips like that! Hope you are making up today at the beach!
props mccall. i would have done the same thing...i just hope i can stick to it like you did. great job!
you are a good mom:) you handled that MUCH better than i would have. i get SOOOO frazzled in those types of situations. good job:) sorry it was so hard though, yuck i hate trips to the store like that.
Oh McCall, you are such a good mom and I think you handled it fabulously!! That's also nice of that lady in the Target parking lot. I often think (when my own kids are acting out) that other shoppers would rather hear the child screaming at the parent than the other way around. You know what I mean? I applaud you and the other parents who can just stay calm and not in turn abuse their kids (verbally or physically) in public when they act out that way.
Jackson's hug and cuddle at the end of it are such a good indication that he knows you love him, and he DEFINITELY loves you. He was pushing his limits to see if you would bend and you didn't, so he knows for next time that no means no. Kids need limits and boundaries, they like it even if they fight it at times.
Way to go!! It's not fun but we've all been through it.
And I'm totally jealous of all your beach outings. Soak up some rays for me, k?
Post a Comment