Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Holiday Tradition...

I have a favorite family tradition that has been part of my family for about 10 years. Sub-for-Santas. I have gained so much from giving to others, expecially at this time of year. I have seen the worst circumstances of those we have given to and other times I only know the childs age, clothing size, and shoe size.
One family in particular comes to my mind every Christmas season. We received this family from a friend of ours who was a teacher. She had one of the children in her class and had learned of the families trials. The mother had walked out and left the father in care of 3 young children. The father had lost his arm in an accident and therefore was unable to work. As we arrived the night of our delivery, we were all in shock as we starred at what they called a "home". It was a storage shed, heated only by a small space heater. The three chilren began unwrapping some of the presents as we unloaded them. One of the children had asked for a sleeping bag - he found it, opened it, and the smile on his face was almost all we could bear. We gave each of the children a new coat; we had learned from the teacher that they had only one coat between the three of them, and whoever woke up the earliest was the one that got to wear the coat. My dad left a business card with the father, it had a number of someone he could get in contact with for a job. As we drove away that night, there was only silence... none of us were able to talk. That Christmas changed us. I think of this family every holiday season and pray that they are in a better place.
My family continues to do Sub-for-Santas, and although we have never since seen the conditions we did that one year, we are always touched. I think one of the best things we can all do during the holiday season is to give, especially to those who need it most.

2 comments:

Lindsay Taft said...

McCall, you just brought tears to my eyes - what a story. It's so easy to forget what we're really celebrating during the Christmas Season. Thanks for sharing. Oh, and by the way, I love your blog - I found your link on Melissa's. You have the cutest little family - Jackson is adorable! (boys are great, aren't they?) Check out my blog when you get a chance: taftfamily.blogspot.com Have a Merry Christmas!

The Roe Family said...

yep i'm tearin up too. we did sub-for-santas too not every year but the times we did do it i remember them vividly. can't wait to see you guys.