Monday, October 29, 2007

The Best Fall Cupcakes EVER

TOASTED ALMOND CUPCAKES
with caramel frosting

Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
1 box white cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp almond extract
3 eggs

Caramel Frosting
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 cups powdered sugar

1. Heat in oven to 350 (325 for dark or nonstick pans). Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular size muffin cups. In shallow pan, bake almonds 6 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes. Reserve 1 cup almonds for garnish. In food processor, process remaining almonds until finely ground.

2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, almond extract and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. (Batter will be lumpy.) Fold in ground almonds. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.

3. Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick insterted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.

4. In 2-quart sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; boil and stire 2 minutes. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling. Remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm, about 30 minutes.

5. Gradually stir powdered sugar into brown sugar mixture. Place saucepan of frosting in bowl of cold water. Beat with spoon until smooth and spreadable. If frosting becomes too stiff, stir in additional milk, 1 tsp at a time. Frost cupcakes and sprinkle reserved almonds lighlty into frosting.

*so delicious! give them a try and let me know what you think!

6 comments:

Jill said...

Your page is so cute, I love it! And I will have to try that cupcake recipe too, it sounds yummy. I just made really cute mini pumpkin cakes. I will post the recipe on my site and you will have to try them, they are good!

I was excited to see you at the party too! I think I just knew you, alison/brian, and my husband there :) But i had fun. Hope to see you around soon! And I will be sure to check back on your page for updates.

Roberts Fam'ly said...

McCall, I'm so glad you found my blog. This is so fun. I need your email address so I can tell you when we update. Jackson is adorable, I loved the snow video. Danielle has set up a Richard's family web-site if you are interested. Hopefully we'll see you soon!

R Family said...

These are so yummy...they have our stamp of approval. Thanks for the treats.

The Roe Family said...

sounds yummy. i'm always looking for new recipes. and good job on the spin class i try to go to mine every mon. and fri. i love it.

Amanda said...

I don't remember the last time I worked out...But treats I can do! I can't wait to try these cupcakes! Thank.

Melly Mel said...

I have to say I have seen these in McCall's kitchen and they looked amazingly delish! I can't wait to make them! Thanks for posting the recipe!