Saturday, June 4, 2011

13.1

Woke up at 4 am. Drove 30 min to Fontana. Loaded the bus & sat next to a man that has been running this race for 21 years! I tried keeping the conversation going on the drive up, I was worried that if we stopped talking my nerves would get the best of me and I might puke all over him! We arrived at the top of the canyon and I did my best to stay warm while we waited for 1 hour until the horn finally blew.

The first 4 miles were FREEZING. And all I was in was my tank and shorts. My legs and feet were numb. But I still felt great. The miles were coming up fast than I could have imagined. We came out of the canyon to sunshine! Once I hit mile 8 I kept thinking I would get tired. But with each mile, I honestly felt better and better... which most likely meant I could have pushed myself harder... but this being my first 1/2 the last thing I wanted to do was loose energy and have to walk (heaven forbid).

As I came up to the finish line I saw Scott with the kids cheering me on... it was so great seeing their faces! I crossed the line 20 minutes faster than I had guessed!

I seriously cannot believe that I just did this. I NEVER thought I could run 13.1 miles and actually feel good about it! But I did... and it was AWESOME!

3 comments:

Jessie and Taylor Miller said...

way to go! so proud of you! i don't think i knew you were doing this. so awesome!

Heidi said...

Way to go McCall- that is such a cool achievement!

pojo said...

Aren't half marathons the best? I am already searching for one to train for after the baby bc once you do one they are addicting! If we come to western next year we will have to do one together!