Saturday, June 2, 2007

May Book Reading

Alright everyone, it is the beginning of June which means time to update you on what I read for May. This month was a little different than last. The books I read were not necessarily "fun & interesting". Rather they had alot of good and needed information.

The first book I read was "Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus" by John Gray, Ph.D. In a weird way I have always wanted to read this book. I think I was curious about what was between the pages. We all know men and women are dramatically different, and as we get married it becomes even more so! My sister-in-law Jaime told me she and Brad had read it and how funny it was to say... "do you really think like that?". So I decided to take on the mystery and see what this John Gray had to say.
It is actually very interesting and funny at the same time. Now when I stupidly get frusterated at Scott for simply responding a certain way (the male way) - I understand why I get frusterated. So for those of you that are curious why men are the way they are and why women are the way we are - read this book. It is very entertaining!

The second book was given to me for Mothers Day, it is "I Am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. All I can say is AMAZING! It is so uplifting and insipiring as she talks about how women should be proud to be a mother and what motherhood accomplishes. Every mom-to-be and mother out there has to read this book!

The last book on my list is "Raising Up A Family To The Lord" by Gene R. Cook. This was also given to me for Mothers day by my own mom. I have not yet finished this book - but so far it is also a must read. My mom told me that if I only read one religous parenting book, this should be it. I personally am quite terrified to raise my children in the world today. This book helps calm my worries as he discusses different obsicles that come up for children and how a parent can direct the situation with the Lords guidance. What parent doesn't need guidance in raising up a family to the Lord?

I had a very uplfting month with the books I chose. I think the month of June I will keep on a lighter note - something a little more fun. If any of you have a book you recommend let me know!

7 comments:

Alifinale said...

I like this idea of reporting the books you have read. I might have to adopt it, to keep me on track to read more. I love reading the fun books, but it is good to hear about uplifting good books that are worth a read. Thank you.

Ideas for you to read (like I said I like to read fun books) - I like a couple books from Sophia Kinsella, she wrote the shopaholic series. A fun one is "Can you keep a secret" by her. Also, I love Pride and Prejudice and my friend introduced me to Mr. Darcy's Daughters & Adventures of Miss Althea Darcy, by Elizabeth Aston. These were fun to read if you like that sort of thing.

R Family said...

Way to go with your reading. We need to start trading more books, I am ready for a new read, I finally finished the one I had been reading for a while.

Heidi said...

I really want to read that book by Jane Clayson. I am going to borrow it from my sisters when they are done with it.

For a light, fast read, I would suggest Twilight and it's sequel, New Moon. Or the sisterhood of the traveling pants series is fun (funny teen girl drama but also relatable)

Grace Ryan said...

Those books sound amazing! I can't believe how many books you read! I'm amazed! I think that's wonderful that you are reading a book on parenting the Lord's way. There isn't any better advice than from Him. Thanks for sharing McCall. You're my monthly book club when I can't go to my local one!

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

I'm so proud of you for reading so many books! I heard the book Twilight is such a great read and you can't put it down. I am going to read it after I get through all my baby books. My stack seems never ending with all these different views on how to raise your kids. Good luck with the book reading this month. I miss you guys.

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

HEY MCCALL!! so we've never met but we totally know who each other are. i went to SOUTHERN VIRGINIA with Candace, your sis. My name is Brooke Farnsworth (martin now). Scott is friends with my older brother todd. i'm good friends with steph whiting. SMALL WORLD ISN'T IT??? i was sooo sad i couldn't make it to candace's wedding. please give her my info you get from this-i want to hear from her! your lil man is adorable. okay so you inspired me to pull out my RAISING UP A FAMILY TO THE LORD book. i read it 5 yrs ago when i was about to have my first lil girl. THE BEST BOOK EVER. i'm pulling it out right now. and that's my novel...sorry!

Birchall Family said...

Hi it's Summer. I love seeing your cute little family in your blog. Thanks for the book tips. We are having a sisters weekend in like two weeks and doing a "Mom" theme, so I want to get that I am a Mother book for all my sisters..thanks for the tip. My mom doesn't sell jeans, it is Tara my sister-in-laws mom, she owns Junky Trunk boutique. It is so cute and actually on line, you should check it out. They do have really cute stuff! They are on valvista and southern, right by salon Sublime