Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day

Growing up my dad owned Wasatch Lawn Cemetary and Mortuary. A while back he sold it -- but recently returned, and is back to doing what he loves most. So this Memorial Day brought back alot of memories for me as we spent the day at Wasatch Lawn. It started off with a flag ceremony. The horn was blown as the flag was raised to half mass, and then we all let black balloons go into the sky as the bagpipe played.

We then headed over to get the kids faces painted. Check out Clara's adorable butterfly... the lady had talent.
And then, for the first time EVER, we all went up to my grandparents & great grandparents grave and put some flowers down for them. At their grave there is a vase that you can pull out of the ground and put flowers in - if you want. Of course Adam tells Jack that it is really for sending messages down and talking with the people underneath. And of course - Jack was eating every word up.
My Great Grandparents. Stephen L. Richards and Irene Smith Merrill Richards.
My Grandparents. Elma Smith Richards and Philip Lingstroth Richards.

Free hotdogs and soda.
My hot dog addict.
*Note to mom... do not put me in white pants when we are planning on spending the day outside :)
A ride in the golf cart with Uncle Mimo and Papa.
I have no problem with cemetary's. In fact I feel like its a second home. I love this place. And someday I too will be burried here. But - lets hope that day doesn't come for many many many years.I grew up in a house not far from the Cemetary. So we took a drive by and I showed it to Jackson. I loved this house. So many good memories.
And then we made a quick stop by my sister Candice's house. They just added a new member to the family. AJ named this little sweetheart. I guess you could say its their version of a dog... but a goat.
Scott was gone all day helping Kristen and Garrett move - of course with these two rascals I am not of much help, but met up with them after at chick-fil-a and then moved on to their new adorable house. It is so cute!

And of course the day was ended with a BBQ outside. I loved this long weekend and hated saying goodbye to my husband husband this morning. I wish everday was a holiday :)

3 comments:

Jessie and Taylor Miller said...

oooh i think your old house is amazing! those columns are gorgeous!
maybe i should get a plot at wasatch by my mom. it will make it a lot easier for you and i to find each other at the second coming...

liz said...

i feel like i wrote this post.. i can't believe you grew up how i grew up with both our dads owning funeral homes and cemetaries! i feel like we have a special bond!

oh and i LOVE your old house, looks like it could be in a magazine!

Nikki said...

I have so many memories at Wasatch Lawn and your old house! Like the time the crow flew up out of the ground in front of us from nowhere. Or the time there was a creepy guy so we went around to the other side of a hill and he was there too, then again on the other side, then gone. Or the time we were staying down in my dad's apartment and someone threw a rock through the window. Or at your house the cupboard you used to hide dry ramen in to lick then dip in the flavor packet. LOL! Good times.