Saturday, March 14, 2009

forgetting the holiday?

I just realized today is St. Patricks Day. Yes, just now. It is 6:45 pm... I have gone the entire day, running errands, playing with the kids, getting things done, and not once did it cross my mind. I didn't even have the kids in green, or myself for that matter.
I am actually a bit sad about it. My mom always made St. Patrick's Day a fun one. She would dye our breakfast milk green and we would draw four leaf clovers on our faces and hands with green markers before we left for school. She also was creative with our lunches... green sandwich bread, green cookies, green grapes, green pack of starbursts... basically everything was green. For dinner she would always make a special Irish Dinner... Corned Beef and cabbage was the main tradition. I know she always tried to make it special because we have Irish in our blood, I am not sure how much, but enough to claim it.
This is something I have always wanted to do with my kids and I completly forgot! I know you are all thinking... get over it - your kids would never have remembered it anyways. Yes, that is true... but it's still something fun that I would have liked to do... and even though they most likely would not have remembered, I would have (at least I would like to think I would?).
So anyways... the day is over. I am an idiot. I guess I will have to make up next year.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

4 comments:

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

Wait there is time! I think the holiday is actually Tuesday. Chicago celebrates it the Saturday before. You can still do fun things!

Michele said...

i thought it was march 17th... im confused

Heidi said...

Wait I think it is on the 17th of March... in which case you did not miss it!

Anonymous said...

ha ha for all those people that don't remember what day St. Patty's day is I'm here to confirm it is on the 17th of march. I never forget cuz it is my birthday! YEAH! So don't worry McCall you haven't missed the chance to celebrate!:)