Sunday, January 27, 2008

Stroller show?

So now that I am having my second child I am on a search for a double stroller. I have been looking online constantly, and really thinking about it ALL the time. I feel like everywhere I go, I am checking out other peoples strollers. A couple weekends ago I went to the car show. I am supposed to be looking at all the sweet new cars that are coming out - but instead I am lookinga t other peoples strollers! What is wrong with me?

Here are my requirements:
1. Nothing too long.
2. Nothing too wide. Most of the double jogging strollers look massive.
3. I need a carseat attachment.
4. Trays for the kids to eat snacks on for entertainment.
5. Storage underneath.
6. Easy to manuever through the isles at the mall, and mass amounts of people.
7. Somewhat light and easy to lift in and out of the car.
8. Durable!
9. Nothing over $400.00 (Have you seen the prices of double strollers! Ugh!)
10. Comfortable for the little ones to sit in.
11. Cute. Not really a requirement, and I know strollers are never really cute - but just nice looking and not too cheesy or anything.

So - if any of you have any advice for double strollers, please let me know! I would love to get some opinins.

13 comments:

Jessica said...

I probably spent a little too much on my jogger, but it has been totally worth it. I got a BOB. I go running quite a bit through the week and it works like a charm. It has a swivel wheel for when you are just out and about, and then locks into place when you want to go running. Like I said it was a little over $500, but has been worth every penny. Plus I found that it is alot harder to make it to the gym when you have two so why not run and you can have them with you?

Alifinale said...

I am so in the same boat. Let me know if you find what you are looking for so I can go out and buy it too!

Unknown said...

The JANE stroller. My sister has it and swears by it. It is amazing. It is a little pricey but she says it is worth every penny. The infant carseat doesn't "click" in but it totally fits in the back and still works just as good. I recommended it to another one of my friends and she LOVES it too...let me know what you think?!

Anonymous said...

Nah... no need for a double. I thought I NEEDED one, but it's one of those thing you "had to have" for your first, and totally doesn't make sense now. At least, that's what I think. But then again, my first is a bit older and stays real close to me whenever we go anywhere. When i was looking for them, I would have purchased the stroller where the older kid can sit or stand. But again, no need here!! Good luck!

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

I love the phil and teds which can be a single or a double.Around $450-500...aren't most of them? i like the bob too.

Lindsay Taft said...

Okay, Mccall - I have the perfect stroller for you, but obviously you've got to check it out for yourself sine it's such personal thing. But, seriously, I LOVE my stroller. I shopped more for my stroller than I did for my car (we bought a new car during pregnancy #2, and Ty never let me forget that my stroller took more thought than the car). But here it is: the Combi Twin Savvy LX Stroller. The stroller is $299, and the carseat is (I'm trying to remember) around $150). You can buy it online at Babies R Us, or USA Baby carries it, too (that's where we got ours, and it's a great place to test them all out). It folds in half, and then in half again so it's about the size of a set of golf clubs. It has a carrying strap or you can roll it on the wheels. It has the option of locking the front 3 wheels (if you want to run) or let them swivel. It isn't too wide - it fits through door-ways just fine. Both seats recline. The side for new baby has the basinet feature (we used this anytime we went to Disneyland, SeaWorld, or the beach) and it allows the combi carseat to rest in the seat, so your baby is facing you. It has two mesh baskets underneath, and 3 cup/snack holders (the other side-by-side strollers didn't). I bought the Skip Hop Double Duo diaper bag to attach to the handlebars, and it works great! I would have to argue that you do NEED a double stroller if your kids are less than 3 years apart - what 2 year old (boy, for that matter) is going to listen to you when you ask them to stick by your side, not to mention when you want to go running! My friends in San Diego w/ older first kids all bought the Joovy Caboose and loved that one, Mack was just too young for the standing thing. Anyhow, sorry for the lengthy comment, but like I said, I love my stroller and have already turned several friends onto it already. Good luck w/ the search - I know it's not fun!

PS FYI, The BOB and all other jogging strollers were bigger than I wanted (and more money, too) and the Peg Perego, Maclaren, and Combi Twin Savvy Sport didn't have the snack/cup holders and the basket underneath was basically useless on the Peg Perego and Maclaren strollers.

The Stevens said...

I am so with Lindsay Taft on the Combi. I love love love mine!!!! I can even push it one handed while holding Jetta. I think you need to go to the store and test them because what you think is a must on the internet might be annoying when you actually try using it. I love the side by side for so many reasons call me and we can chat. You know how dave is about research and I learned a lot from him and would love to help you!!!!!!

Ames Family said...

McCall...I love my GRACO Metro-Lite DUOGLIDER. It is light for a double. I shopped EVERYTHING.

Nikki said...

Obviously I don't have two kids yet, but here's the one I want when we do. I love that Marshall can sit or stand, he's getting too big to get his legs under the snack tray anyway.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2267617

But, my friend who jogs a lot swears by her Bob. If you're using it for jogging, I say get that one but look on Craig's list or KSL classifieds for a good deal. If you just need one for malls and car shows, I would get a wrap/sling like Aunt Rebekah's for the baby and keep Jackson in the stroller for now. At least with second babies you don't need as much gear, so splurging on a jogger may not be so bad. Let me know what you decide, hopefully we'll need one soon.

Susan said...

my goodness McCall, you have such knowledgeable friends. I was just going to say that Aiden crawled into basket on the bottom of our regular stroller (still does) and likes it just fine....but you get funny looks from other people. Then again, most five year olds are too big to fit in the storage compartment of a stroller. Good luck! Sue

Steph said...

I just got a double stroller after I realized how impossible it would be for me to just take a trip to the mall with two children. So I did some research and decided to get a stroller I saw in my "one-step-ahead" catalog. It fits most carseats (you can check their website to see if yours will fit) and it also goes from just a double stroller to a sit n' stand stroller..which is why I got it. Plus it was really reasonable. I won't lie, I feel like I'm driving a bus..but I think any double will feel that way for the most part. Check it out! Here's the link:

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6793&parentCategoryId=85184&categoryId=85219&subCategoryId=86216

Chante said...

So, I don't want to make you jealous, but this is just an idea when it becomes a little warmer in Utah, I found my double stroller at a garage sale! It was like brand new, black and clean with a basket and easily foldable. I got if for $20.00! The only problem is it doesn't steer very well, but who cares? I make my husband push it and he can handle it pretty well! So, my advice to you is to wait and go to garage sales if you don't want to pay a million dollars.

Melly Mel said...

I heard that the Ted & something is the best. I told Jenna about them. Good luck with double strollers! Sounds like fun :)